Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Jersy Girl: What's not to like?

I don't get it. For a couple years now, I've been hearing from seemingly everyone that Jesey Girl is one of the worst movies ever made. Ardent Smith fans have groaned and covered thier eyes at the mere mention of it's name. Comic fans (admittedly, mostly male) whine about it's girly nature and "wimpyness." They told me that: "It's a freakin' romantic comedy without any of the humor, language, or bite of any of Smith's other films."

I don't get it. I LOVED this movie. Literally, I laughed and I cried. I gasped in horror and disbelief. I enjoyed pretty much all of this film. Right now, I can't remember a single reason that I waited this long to watch it. I've already started reminding the husband that this movie would make a great gift for my birthday. So what is so wrong with the rest of Smith's fans?

Maybe they miss the language. Without all the refrences to genitalia and sexual acts that are probably illegal in several states, they don't know when to laugh. Maybe they're jealus of Afflack. People say that he can't act. I don't consider myself an expert on acting, but I was convinced. Perhaps he's just good enough at acting like an asshole that people assume that he is one? (I've never really understood the rampant dislike many otherwise normal people will hold for certain celebraties.) I don't really see the "departure" from Smith's other films. I've them all now, and while this isn't a Clerks movie, I could tell that the same person who wrote Chasing Amy was in charge of Jersy Girl. The humor was there, it just mellowed a bit. This wasn't just some normal romantic comedy. It contained a knife wielding barber, an offer of a mercy lay, and George Carlin. Come on people, name just one other "romantic comedy" that contains two of those items.

Jersey Girl: A! Finally, a movie that my husband and I can both watch and enjoy!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Dane said...

I agree completely. I loved this movie, and anyone who doesn't has no soul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home