Monday, November 06, 2006

Letter to McCain



Dear Sen. McCain,

I just wanted to let you know that I will never vote for you in any election for any position. I am through with you.

I’ve lived in AZ for just under 3 years, but that time has provided me ample time to learn that you are not always the “independent Republican” you often claim. Still, I mostly excused your behavior as that of a "normal pol," and believed that the good accomplished outweighed the bad. All that is over now. Yesterday, I watched the TV in horror as you personally called voters in this state to “protect marriage” by making it legally a “union between one man and one woman.”

I am appalled that party politics was enough to get you to spout off such ridiculous nonsense. As a former citizen of Missouri, I watched in 2004 as this wedge issue was deftly used by Republicans to fire the ugly side of my neighbors’ hearts and fears and ultimately win the state for the Party. Now, I find it interesting that this issue has come to the forefront in an election that some believe the Democrats have a pretty good chance of winning.

Or worse, perhaps you actually believe that marriage needs “protecting” from those who would…what? Seek long-term, faithful commitments under the eyes of the law and their fellow citizens? As a Christian woman who spoke the vows of marriage more than two years ago, I can find no offense in others seeking the same state. Whether they look or think like me is really of no consequence. If two men or two women wish the same commitment and protection that I have, I can only further wish them the same happiness. Ultimately, no married gay couple can possibly reduce or destroy the sanctity of my marriage. Only my husband and I can do that.

I fully believe that you are a very intelligent and capable man who has done great things for this state and the nation. Please stop promoting politics of hate that can only cause division and make our hearts and minds ugly and less Christian.

Sincerely,

Spelunker

PS- I got the picture from Sen. McCain's website. The letter is a copy of one I sent to the Senator this morning.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

I'm glad you sent your letter. He needs to know that people are fed up.

MJ

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Spelunker said...

Thanks. I just get tired of people using religion as a reason to pass on hate. Fourty years from now, people are going to look back on the anti gay marriage people the same way that we look back on the violent segregationists in the 60s. Those people will be our generation's sad, pathetic, and embarrassing defendants of hate. I only wonder why we have to wait 40 years to realize this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home